In the article “Understanding
Composing” by Sondra Perl, she points out three aspects: felt-sense,
retrospective and projective. In my opinion, the most important aspect for me
is “felt-sense”. As Eugene Gendlin, a philosopher at the University of Chicago ,
explains, “the soft underbelly of thought...It is felt in the body, yet it has
meanings. It is body and mind before they are split apart.” Felt-sense is also
called “inner voice”, and it is always within us. Although we can’t come up
ideas and put them into an essay immediately while we write, we already have an
image or key words in our mind that can be related to the topic.
Felt-sense is the basic and first step to write. We need to understand the
topic before we write, and use brainstorm to relate our own personal
experience.
I use “felt-sense” a lot of
times
when I am writing. Every time I get a new topic, I don’ get a pen and write at
once. Instead, I read the topic more than three times in order to help myself
really understand the main point of the topic. Then I will do brainstorm to
think about my own experience or things that happen around me and can be related to this topic. I may
have an image about what am I going
to write, or I can write down some key words that come up in my mind. After
doing these preparations, I start to write. Sometimes I may get stuck while I’m
writing, so I will reread what I wrote and pick up the key words. After refreshing my mind, I will keep writing
until I am done. Felt sense is a helpful way for me to write, and I will keep
using this strategy in the future.
Good work here. You show good understanding of the concepts and I especially LOVE that you wrote about felt sense in terms of your own writing process. One way to describe any of these concepts is to simply talk about how it works (or doesn't) for you! Good job.
ReplyDelete